How do I get my vehicle back after it has been abated?

To recover an abated vehicle from a tow agency, you must first acquire a vehicle release from the King City Police Department. The requirements for obtaining a vehicle release are:

  • The vehicle registration must be current.
  • If the registration is not current, a moving permit must be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles prior to requesting a vehicle release.
  • The vehicle will only be released to the registered owner. The registered owner must possess a valid driver’s license or Identification card. If the register owner does not possess a valid driver’s license, he/she must be accompanied by a licensed driver.
  • There is a $150.00 vehicle release fee. The fee must be paid in cash. This is a departmental fee and is independent of any fees you will be required to pay the towing agency.