Frequently Asked Questions


You can come to City Hall or the Recreation Center during normal business hours to check availability and pick up rental forms. Rental fees are $51 per hour for private events and parties and will hold up to 200 people. It’s available for rentals, including public and private events. The Recreation Center has one bathroom and a kitchen facility with sink, oven, stove and refrigerator for use.   The Center also has a small fenced, outside patio with barbecue. Reservations for park rentals and field rental are made at City Hall. A permit is issued when making the reservation and a permit must be on-site at the facility when rental is occurring. Bounce houses are permitted with proper insurance.

The City offers the following programs:

  • Youth Soccer
  • Basketball
  • Girls’ Softball
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Recreation Swimming (Summer)
  • Summer Day Camp for kids ages 6 – 12
  • Instructional Painting and Art Classes
  • Yoga
  • Karate
  • Racquetball
  • Tennis

The City also partners with other organizations to offer other sports, including King City Little League, King City Adult Softball, 101 Elite Volleyball, Adult Softball, Adult Basketball, Junior League Baseball, King City Swim Club, Monterey County Youth Football, South County Soccer League.

You can go online to, to City Hall or to the Recreation Center during business hours.  There is also a Facebook page where you can find the most up-to-date information – City of King Recreation Department.

Police Department

Any agency that offers public Livescan. For a list of Livescan centers you can contact the Department of Justice.

City Ordinance requires anyone living within the City limits to license their dogs. This license provides contact information if they are lost, helps to pay a portion of costs for animal control services and shelters, and helps to ensure all pets are up to date with vaccinations to protect the public’s health.

Fill out a Citation Review form, which is available at the KCPD, and mail it in. You will receive a notice giving you further instructions.


No; the King City Police Department current does not provide live scans for the public.

101 East San Antonio Dr., King City CA 93930; the phone number is 800-777-0133.

The substation is located at 250 Franciscan Way, King City. The main office is in Salinas.

$15.00 for the first 3 pages and $2.50 for each additional page.

Contact the District Attorney’s Office.


Only Administrative citations are paid at King City Police Station. Parking citation fines are paid via mail. Traffic citations are paid in person, by mail or by phone.

Salinas Court: (831) 775-5400
Marina Court: (831-883-5300
Monterey Court: (831-647-5800
Juvenile Court: (831) 775-5400

You may contact the Police Department by phone and speak to an on duty supervisor or you may pick up a complaint in the front lobby and complete it at your leisure returning it in person or by mail. The complaint form is also available on the Police Department web page.

There are two ways to provide anonymous information to the Police Department. You may contact the Police Department’s tip phone line, which can be reached by calling (831) 386-5980 or call the WETIP phone number of at 1-800-78-CRIME.

The courts will send you information on how you can respond to the citation. Typically, there are three ways to resolve a ticket. You can appear in court to pay or contest the citation.  You can contest by written declaration or you can mail in the fine. Some citations also have the option of paying by phone.

At the Monterey County Court House located at 1200 Aguajito Road, Monterey, California 93940, (831) 547-5800.

No, the City can only provide reports taken within the City limits. 

A permit is not required, but it is recommended to notify your neighbors to avoid complaints to the Police Department that could result in a violation.

Contact the Police Department at 831-385-8311. Noise regulations prohibit amplified noise after 10:00 p.m. Prior to that time, it is allowed at reasonable volumes under restrictions set forth in the Municipal Code.

Public Works

Yes, an application can be submitted at City Hall, but no fee is required. Removal is only allowed under certain circumstances and replacement is normally required.

Call City Hall to report street lights that are not on at night. The Public Works will report the light to PG&E to be fixed. Please be prepared to provide the exact location of the light and the number on the pole if there is one.

Sidewalk maintenance is the responsibility of the homeowner. However, the City has applied for a grant to help repair existing sidewalks in some areas of the City if it is approved.

No. It is recommended cars be washed at commercial car washes or to be washed on lawns to allow for the runoff to be filtered before entering the groundwater. The Regional Water Quality Control Board has put restrictions on storm water collection systems that drain to streams and rivers. Washing cars on hard surfaces allows the dirty water to enter the San Lorenzo Creek and the Salinas River.

Refuse collection and recycling services in King City are provided by Waste Management. They can be reached at (800) 321-8226.

Water service in King City is provided by Cal Water. They can be reached by calling 831-385-5486 or be going to their office at 620 Broadway St # H, King City, CA 93930.

California has mandated a reduction in water use. The Public Works Department has reduced the frequency in water use to comply.

Call City Hall at 831-386- 3281.

The City owns trees in the public right-of-way. However, street tree maintenance is currently the responsibility of the home owner. The City is working on funding a proposal to begin a citywide tree trimming program.

Maintenance of the sewer lateral, which is the sewer pipe running from the main in the street to the home is the responsibility of the homeowner. The City is responsible for the sewer main, which is the line that normally runs down the street and connects to the wastewater treatment plant.

Community Development

A setback is the distance which a building or other structure is set back from a property line, street or alley. It also includes setbacks from other places that need protection, such as a flood plain.

Home based businesses are permitted in specific residential zones. The business must clearly be incidental and secondary to the use of the dwelling. If the zoning district allows a home based business, you must apply and be approved for a Home Occupation Permit to operate your business. This requires an administrative hearing, which includes only staff. City of King Municipal Code Section 17.77 provides the requirements for a Home Occupation Permit.

Public bodies, such as city councils and planning commissions, are sometimes required by state law to hold public hearings. A public hearing allows the public to provide testimony regarding a project that may affect them. If someone is unable to attend a public hearing, letters may be submitted prior to the hearing for consideration.

A study of all the impacts a project would have on the environment in the area, including, but not limited to, population, traffic, schools, fire protection, endangered species, geology, cultural resource, and aesthetics.

A mitigated negative declaration (“MND”) is a short document that describes the proposed project, presents findings related to environmental conditions, includes a copy of the Initial Study, and provides conditions, or mitigation measures that shall be attached to the project approval to reduce the level of environmental significance.

A Negative Declaration (“ND”) is a document that states upon completion of an environmental assessment, or Initial Study (“IS”), there is no substantial evidence that the project may have a significant effect on the environment.

CEQA, or the California Environmental Quality Act, is a state statute that requires local agencies to identify the significant environmental impacts of their actions regarding approval of projects (e.g., CUP) and to avoid or mitigate those impacts, if feasible.  If any impacts cannot be mitigation or avoided, then the City Council must adopt a “statement of overriding consideration” if it desires to approve the project.

A specific plan is a comprehensive planning and zoning document for a defined geographic region of the City. A specific plan may be as general as setting forth broad policy concepts, or as detailed as providing direction to every facet of development from the type, location and intensity of uses to the design and capacity of infrastructure; from the resources used to finance public improvements to the design guidelines of a subdivision. A specific plan may encompass large acreage (e.g., thousands of acres), or smaller parcels of a single acre.

A plot plan (“PP”) is a site plan showing all proposed improvements existing and proposed, including grading, drainage, building type and location. Unlike a CUP, a PP does not require a public hearing and may not require environmental review, pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (“CEQA”).

A Conditional Use Permit (“CUP”) is required for certain land uses, which may need special conditions to ensure compatibility with surrounding land uses. These uses are specified under “Uses Permitted Subject to Obtaining A Use Permit” in the zoning districts. To be approved, a CUP must be consistent with the existing adopted General Plan and Titles 16 and 17 of the King City Municipal Code, have adequate access and public services and be compatible with surrounding land uses.  In reviewing CUP applications, the City also considers conditions to ensure compatibility; land suitability and physical constraints; project design; and potential environmental impacts and mitigation measures.

A zoning ordinance establishes the land use regulations for a jurisdiction. The goal of a zoning ordinance is to establish permitted uses for land covered by the ordinance and to distinguish between different types of uses which may be incompatible. The zoning ordinance includes a text and map showing the “zoning district” for all property within the City of King. In addition, a zoning code provides development standards for each zone. These include, but are not limited to: structure setback requirements and height limits, landscaping requirements, density, and whether a use or structure needs a conditional use permit, plot plan review, architectural review, or can be permitted with only a building permit.

California law requires that each county and city in the state develop and adopt a general plan. The general plan consists of a statement of development policies and includes a map or maps and text setting forth goals and policies. It is a comprehensive long-term plan for the physical development of the City. In this sense, it is a “blueprint” for development.

The general plan must contain a minimum of seven state-mandated elements, which include: Land Use, Open Space, Conservation, Housing, Circulation, Noise, and Safety. Other elements can be included on a voluntary basis. The City of King’s general plan consists of the seven mandated elements plus an Economic Development Element.


By law, anyone who contracts for or bids on a construction project valued at $500.00 or more (total labor and materials) must be licensed by the California State License Board (CSLB). To qualify for a license, a contractor must pass a criminal background check, verify four years of journey-level experience in the trade, pass both a trade and license law exam, and post a license bond. Contractors are required by law to put their CSLB license number in all advertisements including business cards. Therefore, you may ask to see the contractor’s plastic pocket license and a photo identification, and then verify the license and its status via the CSLB website.

An owner-builder may do the work themselves or hire someone who is unlicensed to do the work, but there are legal and financial ramifications of doing so. When a person signs a building permit application as an owner-builder, you assume full responsibility for all phases of your project and its integrity. This means that you as a home owner may be responsible for registering as an employer. An owner builder is legally responsible for any workers compensation insurance claims while that person is working for them. Contact the State of California Contractors State License Board (or CSLB) at for further information on contractor requirements or owner-builder information.

The State has established requirements for low flow toilets due to water shortages, which includes requirements inspections by the City to verify that the toilet is low flow and properly installed. In commercial businesses, the City must also verify that the toilet is ADA or “accessibility” compliant. There are special Code requirements for the proper installation of a water heater, which are designed to protect the public since water heaters can explode and cause extensive damage if not properly installed.

Most work on a building structure or its equipment requires a building permit except for aesthetic maintenance items, such as painting or carpeting.


The current sales tax rate for King City is 8.25%.

Yes, MasterCard and Visa, with a 1.56% plus .10 cent convenience fee.

The Transient Occupancy Tax is 10% due by the 15th of the month following the month of collection.

Utility User’ Tax is @ 2% (Maximum per calendar year $1,500)

Business licenses are not transferable.

A City of King business license are good for one year (January – December) with the exception of a Contractor’s business license, which includes the option of quarterly licenses (January – December).

Once the customer submits a completed Business License Application and has met all requirements, it will take a maximum of two weeks to be issued.

Per King City Municipal Code 5.12.010, no person shall transact and carry on any business, trade, or profession in the City without first obtaining a license.

City Manager

$15.00 per permit.

Yes, permits are valid to have a yard sale on Friday through Sunday or on two consecutive Saturdays and Sundays. Yard sale permits are limited to two per year.

By email: or by calling 831-386-5925.

The Council regularly meets on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 6:00 p.m. at the City Council Chambers in City Hall, 212 S. Vanderhurst Avenue. Spanish translation services are provided at each meeting.

All agendas for the City Council, Planning Commission, Recreation Commission and Airport Advisory Board can be found on the City’s website. You may also contact the City Clerk’s Office at 831-386-5971 if you would like to be placed on an e-mail list to automatically receive all agendas and announcements.


You may contact the Fire Department at 831-385-3430. They will inspect the site and notify the property owners if it presents a hazard.

During the rainy season, if you need sandbags, contact the King City Police Department at (831)385-4848 during business hours to make arrangements. The sandbags can be obtained at the King City Fire Department, located at 422 Bassett Street. Each resident is limited to a maximum of 30 sandbags.