How do I start a home business?
  • The Home Occupation permit is intended to allow for enterprises that are conducted within homes in specific residential districts, are incidental and secondary to the use of the dwelling unit, and are compatible with surrounding residential uses. Reference Municipal Code 17.77.060 for prohibited home occupation uses. 
  • Home occupation permit applications can be submitted electronically through the Citizenserve portal which can always be accessed by selecting the Apply for a Permit graphic link underneath the pictures on the home page.  
  • For hardcopy applications, you must submit the Community Development Department General Application Form (PDF) and the corresponding handouts/checklists which are listed under Application Forms found under the Documents & Forms global navigation tab at the top of the home page. 
  • Please email the City Planning Technician or phone (831)386-5924 for questions regarding home occupation permits. Once the home occupation permit is approved, a business license application must be submitted. 
  • For business license questions contact Customer Service at (831)385-3281.

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a building permit?
2. How do I apply for a business license?
3. How do I apply for a job?
4. How do I apply for a land use permit?
5. How do I build a fence?
6. How do I have a garage sale?
7. How do I make a payment?
8. How do I construct an ADU?
9. How do I open a cannabis business?
10. How do I register for recreation programs?
11. How do I rent a facility?
12. How do I remove a tree?
13. How do I replace a roof?
14. How do I replace a water heater or furnace?
15. How do I report a code enforcement violation?
16. How do I report a noise complaint?
17. How do I report a pothole?
18. How do I report a traffic issue?
19. How do I request public records?
20. How do I start a home business?
21. How do I speak at a public meeting?
22. How do I submit a request?