How do I construct an ADU?
  • Installation of an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) requires a building permit.  To apply for your building permit, access the Citizenserve portal,(which can be accessed anytime by selecting the Apply for a Permit graphic link underneath the pictures on the home page.)  
    • This will take you to the then select Building Permit, enter account information or create an account, and then submit your application information.  You will also be able to pay for your permit, schedule inspections, and view the status of your permit through the same system.  
  • The City also provides pre-approved plans for ADUs for the public to use at no charge if you’d like to save the cost of preparing plans.  The pre-approved plans also significantly streamline the building permit application review process.  ADU designs are required to be consistent with the design of the primary unit on the property.  To help you meet this requirement, there are several alternative plan types you can select from.  The pre-approved ADU plans can be found under the Government global navigation tab at the top of the home page, select City Departments and then Building & Safety Department.
  • If you have any questions, you may contact the Building Department at (831)386-5925.  If you need assistance, it is recommended to schedule an appointment.  

ADU Permit Process for King City:

Step 1: Review the Califonia's HCD's ADU Handbook and the King City Municipal Code Title 17.47 for standards and requirements. Talk to Adriana Granados at (831) 386-5925 for building submittal questions and Esmeralda Alvarez at (831) 386-5924 for planning questions.

Step 2: Hire an Architect or Designer to create your site plan, floor plans, elevations. If you plan on doing a detached ADU as new constructions (not a garage conversion or remodel) the City has pre-approved plans for you to consider and help save money and time.

Step 3: Submit a Building Permit Application via the City's permit portal Citienserve. Staff will provide 1st review comments within a 2 weeks period. Sam timeframe aplies for re-submittals. Once the plans are approved, all fees are paid then the City may issue the building permit and construction may start. Follow requirements from the Building Department on inspections during construction phase until you recieve your final inspction and certificate of occupancy.

See the ADU Flyer for more information.

King City ADU Flyer 

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a building permit?
2. How do I apply for a business license?
3. How do I apply for a job?
4. How do I apply for a land use permit?
5. How do I build a fence?
6. How do I have a garage sale?
7. How do I make a payment?
8. How do I construct an ADU?
9. How do I open a cannabis business?
10. How do I register for recreation programs?
11. How do I rent a facility?
12. How do I remove a tree?
13. How do I replace a roof?
14. How do I replace a water heater or furnace?
15. How do I report a code enforcement violation?
16. How do I report a noise complaint?
17. How do I report a pothole?
18. How do I report a traffic issue?
19. How do I request public records?
20. How do I start a home business?
21. How do I speak at a public meeting?
22. How do I submit a request?