Vehicle Abatement

The code enforcement officer is assigned to perform vehicle abatement duties under authority provided under the California Vehicle Code and the King City Municipal Code.

The code enforcement officer is authorized to investigate complaints involving vehicle abatement and to take appropriate action within the regulated time period. This includes the removal of abandoned or inoperable vehicles from public property and issuance of citations when appropriate.

The code enforcement officer also works with the Monterey County Vehicle Abatement Service Authority for reimbursement of costs associated with removal of abandoned or inoperable vehicles.

The King City Police Department handles concerns related to abandoned or inoperable vehicles on private property. For such vehicles that are located on your own private property, you may choose to contact a tow company of your choice to have the vehicle removed as provided for under the California Vehicle Code. If you wish to report such vehicles on someone else's private property, please contact the code enforcement officer at 831-386-5913.

Reporting Vehicles for Abatement

If you wish to report an abandoned or inoperable vehicle on public property for abatement, you may complete our online Code Enforcement Complaint form, or you can call the King City Police Department Non-Emergency Line at 831-385-4848 for assistance.