Building & Safety Department

The building department is created by ordinance in title 12 of the King City Municipal Code and the California State Code of Regulations Title 24. The building department is created to provide minimum standards for the health, life, and safety of King City citizens and its visitors. We are also dedicated to the preservation of our historic downtown area, and its unique buildings…

The building department is responsible for building plan review, permit issuance, and periodic site inspections to ensure compliance with current state and city codes, for new construction, remodel, and additions for industrial, commercial, and residential projects within the city limits of King City. The building department is also responsible for building code enforcement, issuance of certificates of occupancy and building addresses.

Our Mission

The mission of the Building and Safety Department is to protect and enhance the City of King's natural and manmade environment, its economic base and its neighborhoods by providing our customers with timely building services.

Permits, Plan Review & Inspections

Process begins with a permit application which can be made over the counter or by fax. Inspections may be requested by phone, over the counter, by fax or email. Inspections requested before 4 pm will normally be made the next day. Inspections are performed between 8 am and 5 pm. Monday through Thursday. Other days and times by special request. A special inspection fee may be required for special requests.

To submit permit applications, walk-in visits to the Building Counter are accepted, but appointments are requested to ensure appropriate staff is available. Appointments are required for permit issuance. Appointments can be made by contacting 831-386-5925.

Certificate of Occupancy

No building or structure shall be used or occupied, and no change in the existing occupancy classification of a building or structure or portion thereof shall be made, until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy.

Code Enforcement

Complaint forms are available at the front counter of City Hall.

Building Address Changes or Issuance

Applications are available over the front counter at City Hall.