Animal Services

The Code Enforcement Officer performs tasks related to the enforcement of animal control laws within the city.

The Code Enforcement Unit is committed to promoting the humane treatment of animals and is responsible for the care of pets within our City. The Code Enforcement Officer is able to provide information regarding local spaying / neutering services and is available by appointment to provide presentations to school children, neighborhood associations, and community groups.

Animal Services Available

  • Respond to calls for service related to animal complaints; stray, vicious and/or dangerous animals, dog bites, etc.
  • Capture and impound stray and/or injured animals and transport them to the SPCA for sheltering.
  • Accept surrendered animals and transport them to the SPCA for sheltering.
  • Assist with completing the dog licensing process.
  • We are not available to handle calls for service related to wildlife. These calls are typically handled by either the Monterey County SPCA or the California Department of Fish and Game.

Obtaining a Dog License

Chapter 9 of the Municipal Code includes the rules and regulations for licensing your dog. All dogs four months of age or older residing within the City limits must have current rabies vaccination and must be licensed.

You may license your dog in person at the Police Department or mail in the completed Animal Licensing Application Form with copies of the Rabies Certification and the Spay/Neuter Certificate, if applicable, and payment to:
King City Police Department
415 Bassett Street
King City, CA 93930

Phone: 831-385-4848


At this time, we accept cash or check only, but please do not mail cash.

Shelter Information

The City of King contracts with the SPCA for sheltering services.

If you have questions or concerns or would like to know if your animal is being held at the shelter, you may call the Department's non-emergency dispatch number at 831-385-8311 or contact the SPCA at 1002 Monterey-Salinas Highway, Salinas, CA 93908 831-373-2631 or Toll Free (877-4SP-CAMC) 877-477-2262.

King City Police Department does not handle wild animals. However, the SPCA Wildlife Division will help. Wildlife emergencies during business hours can be reported by calling 831-264-5427. The after-hours emergency number is 831-646-5534.


Codes & Restrictions

A full listing of the codes and restrictions related to animals in the City of King can be found within the King City Municipal Code: Chapter 9 of the King City Municipal Code.