Why does my project require a conditional use permit (“CUP”)? What are CUPs?

A Conditional Use Permit (“CUP”) is required for certain land uses, which may need special conditions to ensure compatibility with surrounding land uses. These uses are specified under “Uses Permitted Subject to Obtaining A Use Permit” in the zoning districts. To be approved, a CUP must be consistent with the existing adopted General Plan and Titles 16 and 17 of the King City Municipal Code, have adequate access and public services and be compatible with surrounding land uses.  In reviewing CUP applications, the City also considers conditions to ensure compatibility; land suitability and physical constraints; project design; and potential environmental impacts and mitigation measures.