POLICE OFFICER – Lateral & Academy Graduate
Base Salary: $3860 – $4927 per month (Currently under review)
Application Deadline: Until positions are filled
KING CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT IS REBUILDING!
BE PART OF THE TRANSFORMATION!
THE CITY & DEPARTMENT: King City is a progressive community in the southern end of the Salinas Valley in Monterey County. The City has a population of 13,000 and the City is growing at a steady pace. City amenities include a golf course, community parks, swimming pools, a water slide, state-of-the-art hospital, airport, and tennis courts. It is also the home of the annual Salinas Valley Fair. The Police Department is made up of 16 sworn and 3 non-sworn positions. The department currently works a 3-12 +8 work schedule.
This is an exciting time to join the King City Police Department. After being decimated by the departure of nearly 40% of the sworn staff due to criminal allegations, the city council has voted to rebuild their police department, with a commitment to review working conditions, to include salary increases, to attract and retain quality personnel.
THE POSITION & DUTIES: Under general supervision, to perform law enforcement and crime prevention work including, but not limited to: patrol duties to enforce laws and ordinances, maintaining order, protecting life and property, preventing, detecting and investigating crimes, maintaining law and order, apprehending criminals, performing community policing activities, special assignments and or other related law enforcement duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent. Must possess a valid California Driver License with a good driving record. Current certification of completion from a P.O.S.T. approved academy
- Retirement: CalPERS 2% at age 50. Employee shall pay the employee’s share of the retirement plan to CalPERS
- Deferred Compensation: The City offers deferred compensation plans, with voluntary employee contributions
- Health, Dental & Vision Plan: Employee pays $100 monthly for employee coverage plus one flat fee of $37.50 for dependent coverage
- Paid Sick Leave: 96 sick leave hours accrued per year with 50% pay off at separation of employment
- Paid Vacation: 80 hours for year of first 5 years, 120 hours after 5 years of service, 144 hours after 10 years of service
- $700 annual uniform allowance paid in monthly installments
- Holidays: 12 paid holidays per year plus 24 hours floating holiday leave
- Additional Incentives if eligible: Bilingual pay, Education pay, Residency Pay and Longevity Pay
SELECTION PROCESS: A City application is required and may be obtained from the King City Police Department, 415 Bassett Street, King City, CA 93930 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, or by calling (831) 386-5950 or emailing email@example.com. A resume may be submitted with the application.
Phase I of the testing process includes a physical agility, written and oral examination. Phase II includes a polygraph and background investigation. Phase III includes a medical examination, psychological examination and Chiefs oral interview. Upon appointment, the employee must successfully complete the Field Training Officer Program and serve an 18 month probationary period (change to 12 month probationary period currently under review). The employee must demonstrate the ability to satisfactorily perform the work assigned to the position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The City of King is an equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, medical condition (as defined by State Law), marital status or political affiliation. If special accommodations are needed at any stage of the exam process, please notify the King City Police Department in advance and every attempt will be made to consider your request.